Saturday, January 26, 2008

Fabric Finds


My Mother died in 1989. To this day I miss her as if it were only yesterday. My Mother taught me to sew at a very young age. Probably because I really wouldn't take "No" for an answer.


After my Father's death in 1983, my Mother started a "Quilt as you go" project. She had begun this project with my sister Ellen. After Mother died the quilt was left unfinished. My sister Sue chose the quilt and asked my sister Ellen to finish it for her.


As you might imagine if you ran out of fabric from something purchased twenty-five years ago you might be out of luck. This begins my story.


I was sitting home on Sunday, January 20th when I decided to check my email. I noticed one from a quilting friend. It was letting me know there was a fabric sale going on at the Local Travel Lodge. I called her to see if it was worth it. She said, well, the fabric is $2.00 a yard and there is lots of old stuff. I figured what the heck, put on my intimate apparel and rushed out the door.


I got there and walked into a maze of fabric. There were probably 250 boxes full. I started fondling the fabric - something that makes quilters happy, when I noticed fabric from my old stash, when I began my quilting journey. Immediately I got all excited and called my sister Ellen to share the news. She and I do this quite often. We love telling each other of a special find - or pay dirt as some may say!!


I said, Ellen, I think I found the fabric from Mother's Quilt. She said, no way. I said, yes I have. I asked her to take a picture of the fabric she needed and send it to me on my cell phone. She was a riot - oh, you know, the fabric with the flowers - everyone was using it. Well, I asked for the picture and I hit pay dirt!! I sent her a picture back to see if it was right and WALLA!!!


I purchased about 8 yards maybe 10 of fabric to help her complete the borders on the quilt. Now is that some quilt story or what!!!!


I'm hoping to add a photo of the quilt here!!


Piecefully!!

1 comment:

Judi said...

What a wonderful story about the quilt and finding the fabric. I love how it turned out.